As the holiday season approaches, Patch will be visiting area businesses to get a sense of what they have to offer for holiday shoppers looking to save, spend or splurge on gifts.
Today's gift ideas come from Hats in the Belfry, a hat shop in downtown Annapolis at 103 Main St.
Most women's hats come one size fits most, but men's hats vary in size, owner Jennifer Trent said. There is no correlation between height, weight and hat size, so she advises "borrowing" a hat from the man you wish to buy for.
Trent said the store offers free exchanges and adjustments if a hat is too big or too small.
SAVE (Items $30 or less):
- Christmas Hats ($19 to $29)—Trent said she loves these hats simply because they are fun and make people smile. Plus, it's hard to ignore the person in a Christmas tree hat.
- Ear Warmers ($19)—These are a great way to stay warm and not mess up your hair, Trent said. They are all on sale at the moment too.
- Bow ties ($29)—The ties are pre-tied and handmade by a woman in Baltimore. They are also adjustable so they fit a range of neck sizes.
SPEND (Items $60 or less):
- Patchwork Driving Cap ($39 to $49)—Trent said these are a classic men's hat that suits a range of personalities. She has more than half a dozen patterns in this price range.
- Chenille Cloche ($45)—A cloche is a 1920's style hat, and Trent said it's one of her best sellers. The hat is crushable, which means you can roll it up and put in it your pocket or purse when not in use.
- Outback Hat ($45 to $49)—This hat is also known as a safari hat, and it comes in a range of earth tone colors.
SPLURGE (Items $90 or more):
- Fur Cloche ($199): This hat is made in the U.S. and all the detailing is done by hand.
- Fur Bowler Hat ($200)—Trent said this hat is pricey but timeless. It's made in the U.S. from rabbit fur. She thinks it makes a great gift because it's the kind of hat most people wouldn't buy for themselves.
- Wigens Cap ($110)—This is the upscale version of the patchwork driving cap. Trent said the difference in price has to do with the quality of the fabrics and the quality of the patterns on the caps. Some of her higher end caps are also limited edition.