The Anne Arundel County Fire Department responded and escorted the students to the First Baptist Church of Crofton, where they were allowed to use the bathroom.
Students returned about 90 minutes later, but at 2 p.m., firefighters were called again after teachers and students complained of some residual gas odor. After 10 minutes, the fire department deemed the building safe, but staff members kept the students outside out of an abundance of caution.
Staff worked to bring lunch out to students who were outside the building.
No one was hospitalized due to the gas leak, but some students complained of nausea and their parents were notified.