Maryland Department of Agriculture officials announced Thursday that five teens from will compete against more than 100 other students next week in the 22nd annual Maryland Envirothon.
The event is a collection of some of the state’s brightest students who compete against one another in five areas of environmental studies, according to a release. Each county in Maryland has a team in the contest, comprised of five students from a school in its system.
For the third consecutive year, South River High’s team will represent Anne Arundel County in the Envirothon after the Seahawks won the local competition. The local high school team includes recent graduates Jake Leizear and , along with Mark Newton, Natalie Manning and Kenny Milman—each from the class of 2013.
Set to take place from June 20-12 in Washington County, the Maryland Envirothon state title will be up for grabs.
The contest is “the equivalent of an academic Olympic competition—a rigorous two-day outdoor natural resources competition for teens passionate about the outdoors and the environment,” according to the release.
Teams will compete in five areas of environmental studies: soil/land use, aquatics ecology, forestry, wildlife and non-point source pollution. The winning team will then go on to represent Maryland at the Canon Envirothon, North America’s largest outdoor environmental competition, according to the release.
Below is the list of schools competing in the Maryland Envirothon, including :
- Allegany County — Allegany High School
- Anne Arundel County — South River High School
- Baltimore County — Hereford High School
- Calvert County — Huntingtown High School
- Carroll County — Boy Scouts Venturing Crew 202
- Cecil County — The Tome School
- Charles County — Westlake High School
- Dorchester County — North Dorchester High School
- Frederick County — Walkersville High School
- Garrett County — Northern Garrett High School
- Harford County — Harford Christian School
- Howard County — Wilde Lake High School
- Montgomery County — Montgomery Blair High School
- Prince George’s County — Oxon Hill High School
- St Mary’s County — Leonardtown High School
- Talbot County — Saints Peter and Paul High School
- Washington County — Clear Spring High School
- Worcester County — Pocomoke High School